Vaginismus comes in many "sizes"

Home > Forums > Vaginismus Support Group > Tips for Future Patients > Vaginismus comes in many "sizes"

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I have recently spoken with several patients who seemed hesitant to discuss their issues with painful sex. They said that after having read other women’s stories there issues “were really not that bad.” They had all been able to use tampons, and have pelvic exams with a gynecologist. However, they were still experiencing pain with intercourse, and thought they should “just keep trying.” Just because you can use a tampon does not mean you do not have vaginismus. If you experience pain with intercourse it is possible you have vaginismus (or some other medical issue) and please do not think your pain is “not bad enough” to seek help. There is no contest as to how “bad” the pain is for you to get help. Vaginismus affects everyone differently, and there are treatments that fit all “sizes.”

recessivegenequeen
    recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Great point Nicole! I think that when you feel your day-to-day life is affected by how your vagina acts (not being able to have sex in a trusting relationship, not being able to use a tampon during a monthly cycle) it is worth having an appointment or calling to discuss your situation. Your vagina shouldn’t make you miserable! I’m glad I called and eventually got the treatment I needed to have a normal and fulfilling sex life.

mm
    Helen Leff, LMSW

This is a really good thread because pain is pain. When you are in pain it doesn’t matter if someone else’s is less or more than yours. You deserve to take care of yourself and we are here to ease your pain.

At Congtythamtu I see patients will all different degrees of vaginismus. Some patients are unable to tolerate any kind of gynecologic exam-they are so fearful that they close their legs and recoil up the table. Other patients are able to insert tampons and have pap smears but intercourse is painful.
    What these patients have in common is the feeling that they are alone and often misunderstood by health care providers.
    At Congtythamtu we use a medical and a holistic approach to treating vaginismus. We understand how important it is to treat both the physical and emotional aspects of vaginismus. We try our best to stress that the patient is not alone and can be helped.

really important points here..sometimes people view vaginismus in very black and white ways…that you either have it or you don’t, in very extreme ways. There is so much in between and it’s important for medical professionals to be cognizant of that.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.