Vaginismus Awareness

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

It still amazes me how little is understood about vaginimus. The internet does have a fair amount of information, but I think what is not happening is that people are not speaking about it. Unless you actually hear someone speak about it as “real thing” you might be skeptical that it exists. We all know by now that everything you read on the internet can’t be true, so hearing about vaginimus from a friend or trusted person is one of the best ways or educating others. Even just a casual conversation with someone about it might help spread the word and provide advocacy that you do not even realize you a doing.

So true, Nicole. People still think it’s this rare thing, not realizing that odds are they know someone who has it. You make an important point about how advocacy doesn’t have to be loud. it can start with just some small conversations that teach people about the condition.

recessivegenequeen
    recessivegenequeen
    Participant

I definitely wish I had heard people talking about vaginismus when I was younger, or that I heard about it now. The internet has helped more information become accessible, but it is still far from having a place in the larger cultural conversation. It’s not something we see in books, on TV, in movies… makes it harder to talk about. I wish there were more ways to start the conversation beyond talking about one’s own experience. Any advice on how to get the word out there from anyone is greatly appreciated!

I have seen more articles in women’s magazines about vaginismus– reach out to see if they would be willing to interview someone who had it so they could write a piece on it that includes the human aspect to it, not just the WebMD side of it.

I have seen more articles in women’s magazines about vaginismus– reach out to see if they would be willing to interview someone who had it so they could write a piece on it that includes the human aspect to it, not just the WebMD side of it.

I have seen a gradual increase in Vaginismus awareness. Many of the referrals I get at Congtythamtu are from primary gynecologists who are familiar with Vaginismus but unsure how to treat it. I am optimistic that in time Vaginismus will no longer be an enigma in the medical community.
    Maybe physicians are being trained about Vaginismus in medical school or during residency. In the meantime, continue to talk about Vaginismus openly and honestly. Get the word out that it can be treated and that no one should have to suffer in silence.

mm
    Heather34

Hi Aimee. You wrote: “Many of the referrals I get at Congtythamtu are from primary gynecologists who are familiar with Vaginismus but unsure how to treat it.” I think it is beyond awesome that gynecologists are finally becoming familiar with it and this, alone, speaks volumes and gives me hope that less and less patients will go and see a doctor who tells them to “just relax” which so many of us have heard.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.