How long to use Lidocaine topical gel?

Home > Forums > Vaginismus Support Group > Vaginismus Aids > How long to use Lidocaine topical gel?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mm
    Heather34

Hi ladies. Immediately after my procedure and while practicing with the dilators, I used a mixture of the Lidocaine/surgilube as a lubricant. This worked very well and I used the same mixture on day 2 of my procedure. I think a good question for Dr. Pacik or Ellen to answer is how long should you use the Lidocaine/surgi-lube mixture (i.e. just while dilating at the clinic immediately following the procedure or for a specific length of time post-procedure)?

Dr. Pacik
    Dr. Pacik
    Participant

I recommend that patients stop using the lidocaine as soon as possible (3-7 days) for several reasons: Once dilation is in progress I don’t feel the mixture adds anything. It does cause some burning because of the lidocaine. It numbs the penis and causes delayed ejaculation unless a condom is worn.
    Most women are able to use their favorite lubes within a few days of the treatment and the lidocaine mixture is no longer needed. It is very helpful for women to experiment with the different lubes available. There is usually considerable information on the various websites. Excellent question.
    The reader could do a search for “lubes”. We have considerable information on past Forums. We can always add to this information.

mmbayles91
    Participant

I haven’t used it lately, but when I do, it is only at night, because it makes it easier for me to just fall asleep without feeling something inside me, but lately i’ve been able to just sleep throughout the night by using “slippery stuff”, which I love!!

GoldDahlia
    Participant

I used the surgilube/lidocaine mixture until it ran out (5-6 days post-procedure), but mainly because I didn’t want to waste it. I didn’t feel that it made much difference, but that could be because I was getting used to dilating by day 6. It did sting a little. I bought a tube each of surgilube and lidocaine – the lidocaine is still unopened and I only used the surgilube twice (had a kind of vinegary smell I didn’t like). Still, I think it was worth a few bucks for the peace of mind in case I had wanted to use it longer.

I’ve been using Sliquid Organics Natural since day 6 with no irritation or infections. Sometimes I add shea butter for overnights. I love the Sliquid for intercourse since it’s a bit thinner and a lot like our natural body lubrication, but I’m thinking of trying Babeland’s “Babelube Natural” for dilating since it sounds a bit less runny.

Nakitalab
    Participant

Like Heather, I really liked the lidocaine/surgi-lube mixture and used it both in the office as well as for about a week or two when I got home. Since I am post menopausal and super dry, I have really liked the surgi-lube because of its thick consistency and silkiness. I also used the lidocaine and surgi-lube when it came time for me to have my first annual exam after my procedure.

mm
    Heather34

I think that for patients who may be ‘stuck’ in making the transition from dilators to intercourse, it may be helpful to use a little bit of the Lidocaine/Surgilube mixture. This may work wonders for the first time and will help to retrain your brain into no longer fearing pain with intercourse. I believe it is very similar to waking up with the dilator already in place and then KNOWING that it could be re-inserted again pain-free. You can ease into regular intercourse without this underlying fear once you have first experienced it and KNOW that it is pain-free. Then, once it has happened, you can easily return to regular lubes. Thoughts and comments here???

mm
    Heather34

Hi all. In an excellent recent post concerning dilating tips, Dr. Pacik wrote:

“It would be fine to start the lidocaine jelly again either 1% over the counter or 2% with a Rx. This will not hurt you.
    Try putting the dilator in the fridge so it is nice and cold when inserting. This may help. A cold dilator can be combined with the lidocaine can be helpful.”

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.